Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Finally, I can write something coherent

So, I feel like today is a day where I can actually express what is going on here in the U.G!

First of all, I want to tell you of some people who I have really come to enjoy seeing when I'm walking around town.

The Berry's- they are a missionary family who just take care of us and love on us. I got to spend my birthday at their house with their two kids- Delaney and Walker. They are so much fun to be with and they cooked this amazing meal for us! We run into them a lot while they drive down the road, it's fun to see people you know while walking down the street.

*random story- today a Muzungu (white person) couple was driving down the road, spotted me and Will walking, and asked us where the BMU center was (the compound we live on called the baptist mission of Uganda) and then we said "let's hop in the car and we'll show you where to go", that's Africa for you

The Sheltons- we have just gotten to meet these guys, which has been great hopefully we will get to know them more in the future!

Theresa, Molly, Claire, and Denis- these are the people around my age who work at an ice cream shop and they are so lovable. It's so fun to talk with them. Today Theresa told me "You have been lost" which in Uganda means "Where have you been? I missed you!" (and I saw them on saturday and today is Wednesday, so, it goes to show you how big a deal relationships are here!)

Stella- she owns a craft/clothes shop on our street, she is so fun and she loves Jesus. For valentine's day she told me "Ah, it was wonderful because Jesus was my valentine!"

Florence and Rose- Florence is younger and Rose is her aunt. They sell me my avacados, and I love to say hello to them. I'm hoping to sit and talk with them sometime soon.

Robin, Sarah, and Barbara- three girls who sell me my "kabalagala's" (they taste and look like bananas, but they are small bananas) these girls are so sweet, and I don't get much time to talk with them because they are usually busy with people coming to buy produce from them.

Emma- short for "emmanuel", he is a guy that works on the compound here, the other day I was teaching him how to shoot a basketball, and then yesterday I just sat outside with him on his porch and we were drawing with the charcoal he cooks with.

I have not mentioned the pastors that we get to work with, we call them the "Dream Team" or the "All Star Team" because they are some of the most amazing men. They just have a heart for the Lord and are really serving Him with all their time, heart, efforts, everything. I could call them each by name and tell you something different about each of them, but for now I will tell you about one in which we will probably be working with a lot from here on out.

Pastor Joseph is a fun guy who loves to joke, have a good time, and be really goofy. Will and I are most likely going to be going with him over to a village called Kisugu. We are hoping to train people over in this area in how to lead children's ministry. But before we really jump into all this ministry stuff, the Lord has laid on my heart getting to know one particular woman- someone whom I think I will also be training for children's ministry. Her name is Diana. She is so wonderful, and tomorrow I hope to see her in her home with her mother, her baby (Rina) and her niece Rachel. Please be praying for my relationship with them.

I'm so thankful that the Lord has really been opening my eyes to these people I have begun to build a relationship with. They are all wonderful people and I pray that I will get more of a chance to spend time with them outside of their working hours- and if not to be able to share the light and love of Christ with them.

I also want to mention the fact that I'm really starting to fall in love with Africa. Even though I come home exhausted, sunburnt, and I think dehydrated after a long walk on Kabalagala, (that's the name of the road near us, kabalagala is what they call those small bananas, and the road is named that too) I'm loving seeing the people I know on the streets (it takes us at least an hour to go shopping for bread because you can't go without seeing the people you know), not having specific plans but just going with the flow, showing up late to events (the pastor's meeting started at "10:00" but it actually started at 11:00) and random things like today having kids teach me an african dance! I know you are all thinking it, but, I think I was made to live in Africa.

I am seriously upheld by your prayers, I know it. I cannot say this enough, thank you.
love,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lovely! You are doing an awesome job getting to know the people of UG! You definitely have a gift for reaching out to people :) I love seeing Jesus work in and through you!!! YOU ROCK CHICKA

    ReplyDelete