Thursday, January 29, 2009

Obama!

So, you probably think I'm going to talk about missing the inauguration in America while I was here in Africa, but, I'm not missing it at all.
Our first day in Uganda we packed 7 people with a huge load of groceries in a 5 passenger car- needless to say Jake and I riding in the trunk of the car were pretty packed in tightly. Well, we couldn't have driven on without being stopped by a truckload of policemen. Welcome to Uganda! Our driver and local missionary- a couple who is on their way to having their first baby and who lives in the house next to us- talked with the policemen and though I will not repeat the conversation exactly, it went something like this:
Policeman: "You must come with me to the station"
Stephen (pronounced Stef-an): "Ok, I follow you, but must you give me ticket? I will not do this anymore, we were not given bigger car"
P: Well, howabout I charge you and you do me a favor"
S: If you charge I must have receipt for my boss
P: Well, I don't have receipt, what should we do about this?
S: I don't know, it is your choice, you are the one who has pulled us over

By the end of it all, he let us go. How many policemen ask us what to do in the states? Haha, then Stephen told us that if we ever got in trouble with them again, just tell them:
"Obama is your brother, and he is our president, so we are practically cousins"
because everyone is uganda I guess is apparently in love with Obama. In fact, today while we were waiting on the side of the road for a taxi, someone just said "Obama" as they walked by. I talked to a local man named David, a worker in the office on our compound, and he said they will either call us "Muzungu" (white person) or "Obama"- I told him we have gotten both names called at us, especially today.

But I am getting ahead of myself, what has happened since I have left and what is happening now? I don't want to bore you all with too many details because this could be the longest update ever- but howabout this: we stayed at a retreat center in South Africa, a beautiful place to spend the first few weeks of this trip, where we did team training, learning about the culture, and just worshipping the Lord through many ways like African bible study (I must teach it to everyone when I get back, it's amazing and sooo simple, totally led by the Holy Spirit), praying, sharing our struggles and words of encouragement, singing, and just doing whatever God laid on our heart to do. Tad and Phyllis were very open to the Lord and obeyed- pray for nourishment in their lives, they were SPENT for the Lord, and it did not go wasted because everyone was changed when they left, and for those of you praying for me, I want to let you know that God did wonderful things in my own heart. I became very close to many people in our group, and now I miss them like family. As a friend of mine Vivian Welkener said "They make us get close to each other and then they tear us apart, why do they do this?" I'm feeling you on that one Vivian! I miss all you guys very much!!!!

I'm also letting all my friends and family know that I miss and love you all also, I think I'm just in that mode where I can actually think so I'm missing you guys- especially running straight into another culture, it definitely collides with realizing where you are in comparison to all that is familiar.

So when we arrived in Kampala, we got put into a huge house- me, my roommates Jana and Jena. They are awesome, and Jena is a pro because she has been in Uganda before, so she's been able to help us with many many things, like boiling water to wash dishes, having candles ready for the first night in which the power completely shut off, and preventing us from brushing our teeth from the sink water. I will have to really change many habits!

We have been following pastors through Kampala, one named Dickens and today we met Medina. They are wonderful people who serve God and they have been very helpful. It's been fun getting to know them. We have been sharing with people and praying with people- today I met Noel who is 28, has three kids (one who is deaf and mute) and a husband living in a SMALL room with one bed. She asked for us to pray that she will be able to find land so she can buy a house. I prayed with her today, so if you could just take a minute to stop reading and pray for her and her request, please do so. I met a sister in Christ who has a need, so please pray for her now.

We've also gotten to ride what they call "Boda's". It's like a motorcyle, and you ride on the back of one while they weave through traffic and make all kinds of crazy moves. I'm not saying they are safe at all, but they are EXTREMELY fun to ride. I'm hanging on for dear life, and yet I'm thrilled while riding it. It makes me want to get a motorcycle when I get back to the states. Dad? Howabout that? I know you had one, so why not?! Haha.

Well, it is time for me to go, but I love you guys so much, thank you for your prayers, they are taking me through each day. I wish I could tell you all that has happened, but, this will have to do. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

me

1 comment:

  1. SARAH!!!! Ahhhhh I love and miss you tons!!!!! But don't worry too much- I'm not an alcoholic yet! Haha

    Oh my goodness I can't wait to see pictures of Africa!!! You are going to post them, right?

    It sounds like you're having an amazing time! We should totally buy a motorcycle when we live in Austin together!!! AHHH!!! It's crazy because now I think everyone in America drives safely compared to everywhere else. People in Europe drive like maniacs and it sounds like it's the same in Uganda. Haha

    Anyway, stay safe!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete