In Mark 9:30-32 Jesus takes his disciples away with Him to teach them something very important about Himself, He actually strived, I believe, to stay away from the crowds that always wanted to be around him, strived to be alone with them, strived to not to ministry because of one thing- "because he was teaching his disciples".
This passage was the premise for this past week that I had with the Lord.
I took my first "road trip" on my own out to Ouchita and then to a place called Mt. Home in Arkansas where I attended the Leadership Summit. I visited friends along the way, what a blessing the whole trip has been. What a refresher, what a reminder, what a time of reflection, what a time of joy and celebration in many different ways for different reasons and with different people. I feel like the Lord showed me something very important to the gospel, something so simple, and yet I believe it has taken root in my heart in a very small way and I believe will in turn change the way I live and look at life- just one small change at a time. So, I just thank the Lord so much for this time I had with Him and the things He taught and showed me, it was so wonderful.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Sarah,
ReplyDeleteSorry we haven't gotten to you before this. Sharing a blog with 12 people means we don't always know what's going on or we thing someone else took care of it.
I would love to let you know a little bit more about the year. Check out www.horncreek.org there's some more about the internship but again like you said that focuses on the happy stuff, but it's accurate some old interns wrote on their too.
Our typical week during the fall and spring looks like this:
We work Fri-Sun either cooking, serving in the dining room, working in the rec center, or doing maintenance projects. Mondays are project days and we work all over camp-I've snow plowed, chainsawed, cleaned toilets, tore up a loft, stocked firewood, other people have filled in pot holes. There's always stuff to do at camp which is fun but tiring.
Tuesdays are our ministry days. In the morning we meet as interns and have a class together, we've gone through books on spiritual disciplines, read mere christianity, and currently we're reading a book on economics and I"m in a group reading a book about technology and the gospel. Some Tuesdays we've had a staff member come and tell us more about what they do.
Tuesday afternoon we have time to read, or meet with our mentor in town, then at night we do 1 Year, it's basically an awanas for the kids in town.
Then Wed and Thurs we have off.
It's been a good year but it's been super challenging too. Jeff, the director of the internship program, and I had to have another talk together about this year being about service. It's so true and so hard. I think I was naive going into this year and thought I would love every moment and would be up front all the time. I can't tell you how many eggs I've cracked or beds I've made since I've been here. It gets tiring and we have to remember that we're doing it so the gospel can be shared.
Another struggle is community. There's 12 of us this year we live, work, go to church, and spend our free time together. Some times it's fun but we also can get on eachothers nerves easily. I think we're all learning how to make community about what we can give not necessarily what we can get.
As hard as some of it has been I'm growing spiritually, and physically and it has been so good. It's been a challenge to be here but I love it too.
I hope that helps some, you can email me if you have more questions amystoddard@horncreek.org
Amy