Sunday, May 3, 2009

Floatin down the Nile

Yup, that's what I did this week. I not only floated for a bit down the Nile, I rafted the Nile! My team and I went on a trip to raft the Nile River and it was crazy awesome. It was really awesome cause in the states some of the rapids we went through are categorized as a 6- which apparently is not supposed to be rafted through- so we went through some of those, and by the way, it was raining and lightening for the first half of our trip, so that was pretty much awesome, and we saw bats and these big eagles, and we could get out of the boat and just chill in the water, so that's what we did for a while. Our team of people were awesome, and our guide was awesome, so we were doing good not flipping out- until he decided to flip us on the second to last rapid. That was fun, and then we got to the last rapid- let's just say that some of my teammates literally thought they were taking their last breath. It was INTENSE. There are just no words to describe how crazy that rapid was, our guide was like "I dunno what happened. We hit the wave in all the right ways" But when I saw that wave coming, man, I knew we were gonna be out of that boat. We each have our own near to death stories about that rapid, mine went something like this:

I flipped out, then I remember the guide telling us to let go of the rope if we fall out, so I let go, then I felt a thud, clunk, thud, I'm not sure if it was the boat or a paddle or what on my head, then I came up for air suddenly, then went under the rapids for a while again, and then finally when I came up and realized I was out of the middle craziness of the rapid, I took a huge breath, realized I would be ok, and then immediately thought of everyone else, especially my team, and prayed out loud "Oh God, let everyone be ok!"

Now, the first rapid I flipped out on, I mean, that was a level 2 rapid- nothing but fun cause I knew we were all fine. But that last rapid, it was a level 7- not really, but it sure felt like it- I had enough of a scare to realize that not everyone might be ok after falling out of that boat, so I was literally compelled to pray for everyone out of shear fear they were not ok!

But we all survived, thank the Lord! And I think I have decided that is enough river rafting for my life- awesome for sure, but I'd rather not risk my life again to the Nile. And rafting in America? Not a chance! Those rapids would be puny compared to the Nile! I would be sleeping on the boat instead of paddling!

Ok, so, enough about the Nile and death stories, I know you all want to hear about ministry stuff since I only have like, what, 3 weeks left? CRAZY! Basically, in my heart I think I have been trying to close things out- but there are many things that we are planning to do that I just have to keep going! I think that part of me is ready to go back home, and yet the other part of me wants to stay and enjoy life here in Africa- the question keeps coming up "When are you coming back?" If only I knew the mind of God- so I have been really praying that I will finish strong cause I don't really know if I'll ever be back.

Here are some of the things that are coming up here: our official "Children's Ministry Training" for many children's leaders from all the churches in the different areas of Kampala May 9th, Dianah's birthday party (which is going to be really special because it's her first time to celebrate a birthday for herself!), having the sunday school kids over for a day on our compound to swing on the new swing we built and to really share a gospel message and in a way have a final "bang" before Will and I leave (did I tell about that? Jake and I built a swing on our compound!), and just making all the rounds of goodbyes!

Dianah and her family and I have started a Bible study on tuesdays because I felt the Lord wanting me to teach them how to teach themselves in studying the Bible, and I really feel that the Lord is going to carry that on after I am gone. I feel like there is much that is happening day to day- and just so little time to get it all done before I leave. Please pray for me as I finish out my time here and please pray that I finish strong! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I know this has been a life changing experience for you and the people you have met while in Kampala. You will be in my prayers as you finish out your last month. Sherry (Jake's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,  Our Holly floated the Nile like you did.  That is all she could talk about for days.  Pretty awesome!  We will be praying for you as you finish and for your flight home.  Looking forward to seeing you again.Love Sandy Holt  - David sends his love

    ReplyDelete